Chicken with a crispy crust, fragrant homemade bread, juicy baked meat ... In order to try all these delicious dishes do not necessarily go to a restaurant. Such culinary masterpieces can be easily cooked at home, especially if the hostess has a modern oven on hand. Grill, convection, auto-ignition, self-cleaning - the functionality of the ovens is so wide and varied that you will definitely find the only one that will be your best friend and faithful helper in creating delicious dishes of both high and home cooking. To choose the right oven, it is not necessary to read tons of tedious instructions, studying obscure terms and functions. It is enough to know about the main criteria, which will be quite enough to make the right choice.
Type of heating element
There are two main types of ovens that differ in heating method: electric and gas. There are also combined options, combining a gas burner and electric convection.
Electric oven: stylish, modern, functional
- Electric ovens have a rich functionality, various modes of operation, various designs, can self-clean after cooking, and uniform heating and maintaining the optimum temperature will allow preparing capricious pastries and even several dishes at the same time.
- The chamber is heated from above, below, and in some cases from the side and rear walls. And the converter fan evenly distributes hot air, so that food can be cooked simultaneously on several levels.
- Modern ovens can have up to 10 modes of operation, including: defrosting foods, quick cooking, grilling, steamer, ruddy crust, etc.
- Electric ovens also have automatic programs pre-recorded in the memory of the oven. This greatly simplifies the cooking process, since you only need to select the appropriate program and set the weight of the products, and the oven will do the rest for you.
- Some ovens, in addition to several heating elements, have a microwave mode. In this case, you will receive two devices at once in one. Such ovens can work both as an oven, and as a microwave, and even in two modes at once.
The only drawback of electric ovens can be considered a large energy consumption (from 2.5 to 4 kW / h), as well as the need to output a separate cable with ground connection.
Gas oven: traditionally, conveniently, simply
- Unlike electric ovens, gas ovens have burners located below, and electric heating elements may be on top.
- Almost all built-in gas ovens are equipped with electric firing, operating in manual or automatic mode.
- Some models of gas ovens also have a convection fan, spit and grill. However, convection in gas ovens works on a different principle: the fan distributes the hot air coming from the main gas burner located in the lower part of the oven.
The most significant disadvantage of gas ovens can be called the lack of necessary modes for the preparation of capricious dishes.
By type of control ovens are divided into independent and dependent. Dependent assumes control of the oven from the hob. This option is valid if the oven and the panel come in the same kit. Independent management is more common, as manufacturers in most cases produce the technique of "solo". At the same time, the panel with the display and the buttons is located directly on the surface of the oven.
As for the control system, ovens can be found on sale both mechanically and electronically controlled. Mechanics are most often found in budget models. In addition, electrical engineering does not imply the availability of automatic programs. Electronic control can be touch or push-button. There are ovens with a combined type of control.
Size and dimensions
Built-in ovens can be full-size, narrow and compact.
- Full size have a height of 55-60 cm, their width can vary in the range of 60-90 cm, and the volume - 55-68 liters.
- Narrow ovens differ from the standard width, which is equal to 45 cm, and the working chamber, having a volume of 37-45 liters.
- Compactmodels have a height of 40-45 cm.
A set of useful features
Immediately it should be clarified that convection ovens have a much larger range of functions in comparison with traditional ovens.
- Convection- hot air. At the same time, the heat emanating from the heating element spreads throughout the inner chamber of the oven, thereby reducing cooking time, and the products are roasted evenly.
- Grill - cooking method, in which the heating element is located above or below the dish. In gas ovens, as a rule, there is a gas grill, but sometimes it is installed in electric ovens. However, the electric grill is still interesting because it allows you to set different modes of operation and the on and off times. Some ovens are equipped with an infrared grill, which is considered more economical.
- Other programs- in expensive models there are more than 10 heating options: lower or upper heat, intensive heating, steaming, defrosting, etc.
- Thermal insulation - the most necessary function, from the point of view of safety. In this case, the oven door is practically not heated. However, this insulation is not present in all ovens.
- Child lock - An important feature for those who have small children in the house.
- Retractable pan. Telescopic guide allows you to pull out the baking sheet without fear of dropping it or getting burned.
- Gas-control - present in ovens with a gas burner. This security system automatically turns off the gas if it suddenly goes out.
- Easy to clean enamel - treats the cleaning system indirectly, but considerably fits the kitchen life. Finely dispersed enamel has microscopic pores, due to which contamination does not penetrate and is easily cleaned from the surface.
- Steam cleaning - water is poured on the pan, which then evaporates under the action of high temperature, which contributes to the effective cleaning of the oven walls.
- Catalytic system - during cooking, all evaporation and fat drops are absorbed by special catalytic plates, whose action lasts approximately 400 cooking cycles.
- Pyrolytic cleaning - the meaning of this system is the burning of food debris from the surface of the chamber at temperatures up to 500 degrees.
Most Popular Manufacturers
The most popular manufacturers are Siemens, Whirlpool, Electrolux produce both electric and gas ovens, characterized by excellent quality and a wide variety of functions.
Not bad and proven electric oven brands Gorenje, Ariston, Bosch, Zanussi.
It is believed that it is best to produce gas burners from Italian companies, and the electric ovens work fine for the Germans.
Of the more prestigious manufacturers worth highlighting Miele, De dietrich and SMEG. However, the cost of ovens from luxury brands often exceeds the 40,000 mark.
Do not chase after expensive equipment and new-fangled models, because they are able to deliver much more trouble than good. Focus on the reliability of the manufacturer, the functionality of the oven and its safety.
A large number of functions is undoubtedly excellent, because there will be something to boast to the girlfriends, but each of them will significantly increase the cost of the oven, and some parts will have to be replaced with new ones over time.
If you want to shift all cleaning care after cooking to your own oven, be prepared for the fact that this will lead to additional energy costs. For example, the same pyrolytic cleaning lasts on average from one hour to two. Many consumers do not know this, which is why they are very surprised about the increased electricity bills.